Saturday, May 08, 2010

Post-election musing

So we did our civic duty and voted, knowing perhaps that none of the options were what we really wanted. And we are left with one big mess, it appears.

On a local level, I'm happy that our MP was re-elected and control of our local council has changed. I'm also happy that the neighbouring electorate delivered a resounding verdict on one of the worst expenses cheats.

But I fear for the future, for the services that we, our elderly parents and our children will one day need. I fear that son 1, who voted for the first time with such enthusiasm, is already becoming disillusioned.

I have no idea what the solution to the mess will be and I don't think the politicians do either.

4 comments:

DJ Kirkby said...

I feel very disturbed by it all too.

HelenMWalters said...

I think an awful lot of people are going to end up with a government they had no idea they were voting for.

Talli Roland said...

Isn't it crazy what's happening? If only we could trust that the politicians will do what is in our best interest...

Cathy said...

And still we wait. Husband, who studied politics, tells me that one of the downsides of PR would be that this situation would become commonplace.