Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Sleep deprivation

I'm feeling exhausted. Son 2 has decided that it is cool to get up between 5 and 5.30am, almost every day. A recent lie in to 6.30 was a luxury.

We don't know what wakes him. A neighbour does drive off in a van at a ridiculously early hour, but that is around 4am. I sometimes stir and hear the vehicle but go straight back to sleep. Does that disturb Son 2 as well?

Because he can't be left unattended I have to get up too. Now strangely at Christmas, when he was sleeping better, I went through a phase of waking at 5am myself. I had a huge burst of creative energy and wrote a significant chunk of my novel on those mornings, before anyone else rose for the day.

But now I'm too tired to contemplate early morning writing. I just crave a shot of caffeine, not least to damp down the muscle spasm I usually have on waking. And I need to find something even more effective to cover my dark shadows.

2 comments:

Hayley said...

My lil Pumpkin has been waking at 5:30 to 6 all week, its getting earlier and earlier and you know what? The only link is the early morning light! Could that be affecting your lil one?

Cathy said...

Hi Hayley, it could well be the morning light now. However this all started when the mornings were still very dark, so it wasn't then!