Monday, October 05, 2009

Photographs

On Saturday I did something I never expected to do. I had my photo taken, at a photographic studio in London.

People who know me understand that I have something of a phobia of the camera. I know I'm not the most photogenic person in the world and I prefer to stay firmly behind the lens. So this outing was not something I would have arranged myself.

Let me take you back many months. I received an email from my sister saying that she'd signed up for a photoshoot session and would I like to go along with her and my niece, the aim being to get a really good group picture to give to our parents for Christmas (don't worry, they won't see this!) Although my first reaction was to panic, it wasn't that hard to persuade me. I then left it to my sister to arrange a date.

Several months passed and no date had been arranged. When we did manage to find some mutually convenient weekends, it was always too late to make a booking, but eventually we got a date sorted in July. And then I became ill. My sister kindly rearranged it for this weekend, the last possible date before she would lose the deposit she'd paid upfront.

So there we were having our make up and hair done and our photos taken in three different outfits. At the end we had a large number of shots to choose from and we narrowed it down to twelve to purchase (the cost prohibited us taking any more). My niece turned out to be wonderfully photogenic, a real natural. My sister fretted about her make up. I thought she looked beautiful, but she doesn't usually wear any so she felt strange. I was just glad to get a few decent shots of myself.

Actually one of my shots is excellent and I'm saving it for now, but it would make a great author photo. Another I have already posted on my website. A third I have cropped from one of the group shots. And most importantly, we have some great pictures for Mum and Dad...

7 comments:

Anne Brooke said...

Well done, you! That's great! Can't get into your site at the moment, but I think my computer's very slow - will try later!

:))

Axxx

HelenMWalters said...

I popped over to your website to look at the photo. Lovely.

Beth said...

So did I! It's a beautiful pic - your warmth really comes across. If the others are that lovely your parents will be thrilled :)

Jenny Beattie said...

It's the one on the 'About me' page? It's lovely - a really good picture.

I also loathe having my picture taken but your parents will be so delighted.

Casdok said...

Lovely to 'meet' you at last!!
Im sure your parents will love the photos.

Cathy said...

Thanks everyone. Keep an eye open for other photos, I'm busy experimenting with cropping and colour changes right now :)

Anonymous said...

That is a really great picture on your website. You look a million dollars. I've never had a makeover or photo shoot but I imagine it makes you feel great.

CJ xx