Sunday, March 29, 2009

Word counts

I've just updated the word count for my novel and am amazed to find I have now written 31%, that's nearly a third of it completed! I don't update the counter daily or even weekly, but perhaps I should, it's a great motivator.

If I add the words I'm writing on my novel to those written for my OU course, then it doesn't look too unproductive. We are in the finishing straight of the course now and I'm looking forward to being able to concentrate on the novel and perhaps even eventually write some shorter pieces to submit to print or online magazines.

Anyway this coming week is an OU week, another assignment due in on Friday. It has been worth it, I am improving my skills all the time and it will be lovely to hopefully come out at the other end with a formal diploma in literature and creative writing as well as another degree. But it will also be nice, just for a while, to be able to write freely on the novel and not within the tight word limit constraints of the academic course.

6 comments:

Beth said...

Well done! That's fab :)

I can't believe we're so close to the end. Ah well, at least my inspiration has come back. Not having enough time to write everything you want is better than not having enough inspiration to fill the time available...

Anonymous said...

I think you're very inspiring. I have found over the past few years that I just don't have time to study eventhough I would love to do a degree.

Know what you mean about the word count, it is encouraging.

CJ xx

Anne Brooke said...

Well done - that's great news!

Axxx

Casdok said...

Sounds like you are doing really well!

Sue Guiney said...

Sounds great! Go! Fight! Win!

Anonymous said...

Well done. A significant milestone.