Monday, September 08, 2008

Taking stock

It's been a funny old year so far. If I tried to tell someone what has gone on, they probably wouldn't believe that so much could happen in one family in a period of six months.

Son 1 and the remaining grandparents all still have health challenges ahead. Yesterday my Mum had a brain scan, today she sees a psychologist ( or maybe psychiatrist, I'm not certain). Hopefully at the end of all her assessments a clearer picture and possible prognosis will emerge.

I'm in the finishing straight of my OU E301 course, with just the end of course assessment to complete in the next three weeks. It has been a real challenge to do the course alongside all the family crises but I'm glad I stuck with it. The course has been fascinating and challenging in equal measures, but I have certainly learned a lot.

A new creative writing course is on the horizon and I hope it will banish the writer's block which E301 induced. I am really looking forward to kick-starting my creative side again. Then I have to make some serious decisions about whether to apply for an MA course for next year or wait a little, bearing in mind that I am not getting any younger...

Three notable things:

1. Son 2 went back to school this term with a skip and a smile.

2. Andy Murray has just beaten Rafael Nadal for the first time. He can obviously play tennis but I do wish someone would send him to charm school...

3. Although I am usually pretty apolitical, I am fascinated by what currently happening in the USA. Whichever side wins, there will certainly be a big step forward in equal opportunities. But...( and I may come back to this another day!)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure where this year has gone! Best wishes to your mum, hope she will be okay.

And good luck with the courses, you sound really busy with it all and very committed.

CJ xx

CC Devine said...

Here's hoping for clarity after all the assessment your mum is undergoing.

Totally with you on the Andy Murray comment though I have to say he's improving compared to how he was when he first hit the men's circuit!

Casdok said...

Hope your mum gets some answers.

Interesting you should mention that about the USA. I was just reading about Ms Palin and her son over at Autism Vox.

Oh and good to hear Son 2 went back to school ok!

Anne Brooke said...

Well done on the course - and sending love and hugs about your mother.

Axxxxxxxxxxxx

Cathy said...

THanks all for the good wishes for my Mum.

Cx

Karen said...

Hi Cathy!
Small world and all that...
Feel free to link to me - I'll add you to my blogs too. And I'll be sure to keep an eye on you!
Karen
;-))