Friday, February 08, 2008

A political interlude

I don't really follow politics that closely and certainly not American politics, but I was struck by something in the speech given yesterday by Mitt Romney on standing down from the contest to become the Republican candidate for the Presidential elections:

"Europe is facing a demographic disaster. That is the inevitable product of weakened faith in the Creator, failed families, disrespect for the sanctity of human life and eroded morality..."

(source: BBC )

So the country which embraces the death penalty, Guantanamo Bay, waterboarding and the Jerry Springer show should be showing Europe the moral way forward?

I think not.

( For the record I have been to America, I have American friends and son 2 has American Godparents. I am not anti-America, just anti certain views and practices. I think America also forgets how much Europe (and especially Britain, with the common language), has been influenced by American life and culture.)

Three notable things:

1. I went out for a lovely lunch with friends today.

2. First tutorial in London for my new course tomorrow.

3. I've done no writing at all this week...

3 comments:

Casdok said...

American politics just confuses me! But then i am easily confused!
Good luck with your tutorial tomorrow!!

Cathy said...

American politics confuse me too, Casdok!

Anonymous said...

My American friends are terrified that this maniac might slip past McCain for the Republican nomination. Such woeful, wilful ignorance of anything outside the stockade that is his America!!