Monday, July 02, 2007

Exam stress

Two weeks today I am supposed to be sitting an Open University exam. I haven't done enough work for it. I haven't even started to revise. It will be nothing short of a miracle if I pass. So shall I even bother to turn up?

I keep telling myself that it doesn't matter if I fail to complete the course, after all I was taking it simply to increase my knowledge of mental health issues in view of our family circumstances. What I have learned has already proved useful in real life. The exam doesn't matter.

Yet it is a matter of pride that I have never yet flunked out of taking an exam or test. I've failed a few...driving test and a few of my accountancy papers...but at least I persevered and passed them in the end. So I expect two weeks today I will turn up at the exam hall, praying that at least one of the few topics of which I have some practical knowledge turns up on the exam paper. Who knows, if that happens I might just be able to get by.

Three notable things:

1. A young robin, barely able to fly, hopping around outside our front door and taking shelter under the cars from the rain.

2. Watching Take That on the TV coverage of the Concert for Diana, during which the rain miraculously kept away for six hours. (The only other segment I saw was Elton closing the show, though I would loved to have seen Roger Hodgson.)

3. Knowing that terrible tragedies were narrowly averted both here in London and in Glasgow over the last few days and wondering whether guardian angels do exist.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you need to give your self some credit here. It can't be easy studying for exams with everything else you have on your plate and as you've said you've already learnt some valuable information. So gold star there anyway.

Just give it your best shot.

Sue xx

Kore said...

Gold Star indeed. I have so much admiration for you. You seem to fit so much of value into your life and perhaps this exam is pretty low down the list of priorities. All the same I really hope that you give the exam a go. It would be a shame not to take a chance on it? I hope that you do well.
NB x

Catherine said...

You sound about as prepared as my son was for his GCSEs. I hope you both do better than you could possibly hope.

Best of luck with it Cathy. I know you will go and do what you can and that's the real test.

Jackie Luben said...

You'll regret not doing it, if you don't try, Cathy. You have nothing to lose by having a go at it.

Best of luck,
Jackie

beta mum said...

2 weeks? Plenty of time to get some last minute revision done.
Good luck with it. Use different coloured pens to make notes - makes both sides of the brain work apparently, and makes the info easier to remember.

Anne Brooke said...

Don't panic, Cathy - as Sue says give yourself credit, do some revision in bite-size chunks. Then turn up and do your best - good luck & sending chocolate your way!

A
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Cathy said...

Oh, OK then, if you all insist...