Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Bl**dy computers

Son 1's new computer arrives today, after being on order for 10 days. No phone call in advance to say it was on its way, so it was lucky I was in, in fact had it arrived 10 or 15 minutes later I wouldn't have been.

He unpacks it carefully and a couple of pieces of plastic fall off the casing. I leave him fixing them back on and about to set it all up. When I get home a few hours later I find a note to say he couldn't get the computer to work, so has gone round to my friend's house. He is a teenage boy, so if he can't get it to work I know I won't be able to.

When he comes home, I take a closer look with him. The casing is clearly not right...it is slightly lopsided and not properly fixed on one side. The drawer of the dvd drive won't open, even though there is power into the system. The monitor has been sent with a two pin continental plug, rather than a three pin British one.

I phone the company, which we have bought from before. The earliest mutually convenient day they can send an engineer is a week hence. It is lucky that son 1's old computer, although on its last legs, is still working well enough for him to play Guild Wars.

This was supposed to be a boost for son 1 after his difficult end to last week. Instead it has just depressed him further. What is more, it has kept up our unfortunate record of almost every desktop we have ever bought arriving with a defect. The only one that didn't was our original Amstrad. Sir Alan must have got something right.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about son 1 and how annoying to have waited for something that doesn't do what it's supposed to.

It's maddening that in this day and age you can order virtually anything immediately off the net but then are still waiting for the people factor to deliver it.

Anne Brooke said...

Honestly, what a darn nuisance - so sorry to hear this. Hope it's sorted when the man comes next week - give 'em hell!!

!!!

A
xxx