Friday, January 12, 2007

Magazine stories

Browsing through magazines in Tesco this morning I noticed that Good Housekeeping had an 8 page fiction special, so I put it in my trolley. After packing my shopping away at home, I sat down to read it over lunch and found a short story by Maggie O'Farrell, who you may remember is one of my favourite authors. An unusual and moving story about an intense emotional experience, written in the second person. It appears that the magazine is bringing back the monthly short story, though apparently only commissioned pieces. I seem to remember that they also used to have an annual short story competition so I wonder if that will be resurrected too?

I am still waiting to hear from My Weekly about the story I submitted. I am expecting another rejection but I do think that was the best story I have yet written and I hope I will eventually find a home for it. In the meantime I really ought to be trying to write some more. I have a clear psychological failing, which probably comes from lack of confidence in my own ability, meaning that I like to know the fate of my last piece of work (whether an academic essay or a piece of writing) before I can move on to the next. That is hardly the best way for a writer to work and as I am trying to take this writing game much more seriously now, I need to change my way of thinking, soon!

3 comments:

Anne Brooke said...

Write something now, Cathy - anything. Just a sentence. You don't have to wait!

And I've just started my first Maggie O'Farrell - "After You'd Gone" - am enjoying immensely but can see it's going to be traumatic ...

==:O

A
xxx

Cathy said...

I loved that book...I think it is her best (though I haven't read her new one). It's one of my all time favs and really kept me engrossed right to the end. Wish I could write like that...

Oh well, I did write a few sentences of the novel today!!

Cx

Anne Brooke said...

Hurrah - good for you, Cathy! I was as lazy as a sponge and didn't do a thing to my novel. Did play solitaire on the computer though ...!

:))

A
xxx