Sunday, January 28, 2007

Another reason I love the web

Sadly I don't get out as much as I would like to for a variety of reasons, some of which are probably obvious to returning readers. ( Yes, there are some. I'm amazed.) I still see and talk to my friends of course, but the internet has opened so many other opportunities, the chance to get to know people all over the country, indeed all over the world, who have similar interests and concerns.

There is a lot of information out there for budding writers as well as online forums, some of which are listed in my links. But if you happen to be the parent of a child with any sort of special needs living in the UK, could I point you towards Special Kids in the UK which has a wonderful community feel and a members only forum where parents can vent. I have been a member of this parent-led group since its early days as a Yahoo group and have watched it grow into a national charity offering so much more than just information and a forum to its members. A safe haven, a family, the chance to meet others in person, the chance to just be yourself with other who understand. A support group which, unlike many, is UK based and understands the ins and outs of the UK health and education systems. Long live parent power!

No comments: